Thursday, January 17, 2013

Comic Conventions

Looks like I won't be going to the Portland Comic Con. I had just heard of it a few days ago when a coworker told me about it. She mentioned it because I was telling her about wanting to attend the Seattle convention in March. 

I got all a-flutter with the notion of going to see Star Wars royalty Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams up in Seattle, so of course was going to jump on the chance of a convention here in my own town. Plus it's been on my bucket list to attend a convention.

Unfortunately that convention falls on a weekend when the beau and I are going to the coast for my birthday. The convention is the 22nd-24th, and we are at the coast the 23rd and 24th. On Friday the 22nd, my birthday, I'll be working until 4:30PM. Ideally I could have swung over to the convention after, but I found out that they are charging an extra fee for a picture with celebrities.

James Marsters and Juliet Landau (Spike and Drusilla off 'Buffy', respectively) were both going to be there. I definitely wanted a photo, but it's $90 for a picture with the two of them! I can not justify spending $30 to get in the door and then $90 for the photo, especially considering they aren't A-list celebrities.  I wouldn't pay that no matter who it was. For just a photo? That's ridiculous.

I think that I am just going to stick with the Seattle Comic Con. I've heard that Fisher and Williams don't do photos with people, but it would be awesome to get a personalized autograph. I do want to go and see a comic convention anyway, so even if I didn't get to meet anyone famous, it would be something to check off my list. Plus I'd be there with R, so we'd have a fun time no matter what. And a trip to Seattle would be fun. I have friends we can stay with, and we can go to Pikes Place and do all the touristy stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment